Happy Valentine's Day! I hope your day is filled with love in many forms - including cupcakes.
(Adapted from Sprinkles cupcake recipe)
3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
4 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/2 cup whole milk, at room temperature
1/2 cup pureed strawberries (use all-natural frozen that have been thawed)
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Fill two cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. Add vanilla and strawberry puree to milk and set aside.
4. In standing mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
5. Slowly add egg and egg whites and mix on medium speed until blended.
6. With mixer on low speed, add half the flour mixture until just blended.
7. Add milk mixture and mix just until blended.
8. Add remaining flour mixture and mix just until blended. Scrape down bowl to make sure entire mixture is smooth.
9. Divide batter between cupcake cups and bake for 20-22 minutes or until tops are just dry to the touch.
8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, firm but not cold
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
3 1/2 cups confectioner sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 tablespoons pureed strawberries (use all-natural frozen that have been thawed)
1. Beat butter and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy.
2. Reduce speed and gradually add confectioner's sugar and beat until incorporated.
3. Add vanilla and strawberry puree and mix until blended. Do not overmix, or the frosting will incorporate too much air. The consistency should be dense and creamy, like ice cream.
Note: If you want the amount of frosting shown on the cupcake above, make 1 1/2 times the frosting recipe.