Whenever I do an assignment, there are always projects that get excluded. I used to take it personally, but now that I have a blog I no longer feel like it was time wasted - I get to share it with an audience anyway. This time, I had two projects that got bypassed and it was for the same reason - the holly intimidated the editors. But it's easy enough and I'll pass it on to you.
Remember the felt dahlias I learned to make from Not Martha? Well, I loved the dimensionality of the middle of that flower and it was so easy to do. Shortly after that, I started working on Christmas and I remembered that technique and thought it would work just as well for berries, which it did!
I used the same technique for the ornament as I did for the wreath - I simply used a shorter strip for the smaller berries. And to make the larger circles more stable, I added dabs of Fabri-Tac to the strip as I rolled it.
The wreath was very simple - I cut strips of felt into various widths, wrapped them around a Styrofoam wreath form, and pinned them to the back of the wreath form with straight pins. When the wreath form was covered, I cut holly leaves out of wool blend felt, folded the leaf in half and ironed it with an iron preheated to the "wool" setting with steam. That gave the holly leaves some dimension. I glued the leaves to the wreath front using Fabri-Tac, then glued the berries on as well.
I was completely inspired by the "Taffy" (light aqua) wool blend felt that I found at Felt-o-rama. Photographs don't even do it justice. It's just beautiful. I also loved "Strawberry Parfait" and "Pistachio Ice Cream" wool blend felt from Wool Felt Central. Those three colors made up most of my palette for the entire feature, with other colors accenting as needed. Both sites are great sources for wool blend felt of high quality.
I also discovered that Divine Twine made a much nicer ornament hanger than plain string. It's a small detail, but it made an impact on the overall look of the ornament.